Sunday, June 10, 2007

TEAPACK CONTROVERSIAL SONG ' Push The Button ' TONGUE IN CHEEK OR ANTI--IRAN SONG

Anyway there is a bit of controversy over the song ' Push the Button ' by Israeli group Teapack which was entered into the Eurovision song contest. Some believe the song is too political & is aimed at the president of Iran who some believe will, if he can , Nuke Israel & the song ends in a way which seems to suggest Israel should Nuke Iran first. I think the song is a bit more ambiguous than this & is a reflection of the anxiety of many Israeli's about how volatile the situation is in the Middle East . The leaders referred to in the song it could be argued could just as well be the leaders of Israel or George Bush & his gang ; just as much as it could be referring to Iran which may in the future develop Nuclear Weapons or it could be referring to other countries who do have nuclear weapons like India or China or Russia or France or Great Britain etc.

The song is a sort of mix of Klesmer & rap & hip hop & to me sounds a lot like " They Might Be Giants ' & so deals with a serious subject in a humorous fashion but as they say judge for yourself. Otherwise I like the song it is funky & a bit twisted as it were ... & the performance is quirky & over the top - it is also interesting since it is in Hebrew/ Yiddish , English & French which might possible make it unique.




Here is the English translation of lyrics from
BOSSITE.COM

Teapacks - Push the button (english translation)

The world is full of terror
If someone makes an error
He's gonna blow us up to biddy biddy kingdom come
There are some crazy rulers
They hide and try to fool us
With demonic, technologic willingness to harm

They're gonna push the button, push the button
Push the bu... push the bu... push the button
Push the button, push the button
Push the bu... push the bu... push the button

There's a lot of suffering
In the streets there's too much violence
And we stand a good chance of staying alive, even unscathed
Tactical advancement of a fanatical regime
A tragic situation that brings tears to my eyes

And I don't wanna die
I wanna see the flowers bloom
Don't wanna go kaput kaboom
And I don't wanna cry
I wanna have a lot of fun just sitting in the sun
But nevertheless

He's gonna push the button, push the button
Push the bu... push the bu... push the button
Push the button, push the button
Push the bu... push the bu... push the button

Messages are exploding on me
Missiles are flying are also landing on me
Cops and robbers are running all over me
And they're jumping me, getting on my case
Alas, alas, answer me, my God, hi
This nightmare is too long
When I'm barely alive and everyone is aiming at me
Maybe it's too late to sing that I gave her my life

Police, rescue team
It made it to the Kdam, a song with no peace
Red is not just a colour, it's more like blood
Again I'm stopping the breathing in my heart
So I won't drop dead
First it's a war, now it's resuscitation

Boom boom, that's what is happening now
In between a rocket and a machete, a viewer and a reporter
Underhanded opportunism and a kidnapee, rain and a heatwave
An escalation in the levels is setting up camp

Nothing, nothing, that's what everyone is doing
Hardliners become more extreme and officers more serious
The naive become more moderate, waiting for the data
And reply (that everyone is helpless)

A world full of demons where we are nothing but pawns
And champions with gambling chips decide the outcome
Sluggish management, a ship filled with water
And everyone is drinking to good health, and drowning

Maybe it's too sharp
We should sing palm tree songs, desert songs with no flags
I'm still alive, alive, alive
And if it keeps on being scary, only then will I say:

I'm gonna push the button, push the button
Push the bu... push the bu... push the button
Push the button, push the button
Push the bu... push the bu... push the button


And check out :
March 04, 2007 post by Jeff Barak
Storm in a Teapack at The Jewish Chronicle Blog

Are we on the verge of yet another Israeli boycott? The organisers of the Eurovision Song Contest said last week that they might ban this year's Israel entry, "Push the button", because of an inappropriate political message.

The song contest organizers are worried that the... lyrics refer to Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

Lead singer Kobi Oz denied the song was political telling the Ynet website: I know our song is not political. What caught the eye were the words 'crazy leaders' - they decided to interpret them as though they referred to Ahmadinejad. I'm convinced that others will refer to our leaders... Our way of dealing with terror is to laugh in its face. I think the Europeans should adopt this method as well."


And here is an interview with the group:

Eurovision 2007: Israel speak out over lack of co-operation



take care,
GORD.

No comments: